I am Jen Perkin, writer and editor obsessed by music, travel and food. And film, books, and coffee. And mezcal. Beer too. I also dabble in feminism, environmentalism, art. Beaches, tattoos, festivals. Running. Vintage clothes. Reading newspapers in the park. Etc.
I’ve worked as a writer, an editor. Tour guide, bartender. Creative producer, event manager, entrepreneur. And so on.
I’ve decided to embrace the fact that I don’t specialise in just one thing, in life or in work, and I even thought of something to call myself: a generalist. I could even make a pun with my name but I don’t think we want that.
These are some of the things that I am, all at the same time:
- A British / Australian / USA multiple citizen who is half Venezuelan and speaks spanish like a Mexican and english like an Aussie.
- An NCTJ qualified journalist with over a decade of experience in print and online writing and editing. I write mostly about travel and music.
- The founder of an independent creative space, coworking space and hotelito called Convivio in Oaxaca, Mexico. For the 3 years that Convivio existed it hosted residencies, concerts, film festivals, art exhibitions, parties, happenings and more. It also won the Coworker.com award ‘Oaxaca Coworking Space of the Year’ in 2018.
- A winner of a COALAR Australian Government grant in 2017. This allowed me to hold the very first Trueque Festival in Oaxaca – an exchange focused on coffee in Mexico and Australia. It took place in February 2018 and was a big success (and a lot of fun).
- Sometime tour guide and translator: in Central America + Cuba with Tucan Travel, in Wales with Outlook Expeditions, in Guatemala with De La Gente.
- A person who gets shit done. I assisted with mezcal residency and education project Sin Gusano in London, 2018. I worked at Australia’s first coliving space at the start of 2019. I have helped with new business direction and marketing for projects including Imposible Festival in Oaxaca and Lowdown magazine in Liverpool. I’ve helped hang art exhibitions, worked at festival stalls, and say yes to most things that seem awesome.
I am currently in Brooklyn, NYC.
Contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org | +1 347 822 2061 | @jhperkin
*Photos by the amazing Nikhol Esterás nikholesteras.com